Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

INVICTUS (2009)



Invictus (2009)
My rating – 4/5

‘Invictus’ was one of unnoticed or rather un attended movie in my ‘movies to watch’ collection. I didn’t had the proper mood or the interest to watch it even the critics were in favor of it. However when I finally watched it last night I was more than glad I did.

Based on true events which occurred surrounding the newly elected south African president Nelson Mandela and the demotivated and beaten up Rugby team which has no direction ‘Invictus’ is a story or triumph, humanity and most of all politics which is intended to change the world for the better. Mandela not being the popular elect amongst the whites strategically place Ruby as a tool of attention and somewhat bait to unite the whole country in to one purpose ; Gear up and change the country. The movie no doubt portray how well Mandela is in his office and uses his humanitarian attitude surprisingly well towards other who might think that he will resist. More than Rugby once you concentrate on the Mandela character the movie itself will start to be an inspiration towards any human being who breathes.



Wonderfully crafted cast including Morgan Freemon as Mandela and Matt Damon as the Rugby teams captain Francois Pienaar, ‘Invictus’ has made way in to my sports movies hall of fame. Proving once again that Clint Eastwood is one of the greatest of directors of our time surpassing who he was being an actor of my time this movie is a winner by all means. I will cherish it just like I did Coach Carter, Radio and Blind Side.
Just before I wind up, ‘Invictus’ in real is a short poem by English poet William Ernest Henley (1849-1903). It was written in 1875 and first published in 1888 in Henley’s Book of Verses. It says that Mandela was inspired by this poem while he was in prison and no doubt that you may too so I shall keep it in this post.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul

No comments:

Post a Comment

අනෙක් අයත් එක්ක බෙදා ගන්න

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...